About Us | Community and Environment | Best of the South Shore
It all began in 1973, with a simple idea of offering exceptional produce to the South Shore community. With our first store on Route 18 in Weymouth, the Fruit Center quickly gained many loyal customers. As the business expanded, the store in Weymouth was replaced by our two current stores in Milton (10 Bassett Street, right off of Granite Ave.) and Hingham (79 Water Street, on the corner of Route 3A).
Our passion for great food led us to expand our product offerings to include gourmet and specialty items, imported goods, prepared meals, sliced-to-order deli products featuring Boar’s Head, a creative floral department, natural and organic items and even many of the familiar brand name food items you love.
Many of our staff have been in the food business for many years and are eager to share their extensive knowledge with our customers.
Committed To Our Community and Our Environment
The Fruit Center makes every effort to support and improve the communities we serve. Every year, the Fruit Center supports over 100 local organizations (PDF) through charitable contributions and donations. And when it comes to our environment, it’s our mission to help protect the South Shore. Here are just a few examples of what we’re doing to improve our environment:
- We offer three styles of reusable shopping bags and plastic bags made with biodegradable materials.
- We stock many environmentally-friendly cleaning products.
- We recently installed energy-efficient motors in our refrigeration units.
- Our waste disposal program includes single-stream recycling for all our paper, metal, glass and plastics.
- We support local organizations such as Friends of the Blue Hills and Sustainable South Shore. Our 2011 Earth Day fundraiser for Sustainable South Shore raised $1000 for that organization.
- Our buyers purchase local produce when available. Not only is local produce fresher, but it travels far fewer miles to our stores, reducing carbon emissions. Also, family-owned local farms have a deep connection to their land and environment, and take extra precautions to preserve and maintain their land.
Thank You for Voting Us "Best of the South Shore"
Once again, the readers of South Shore Living Magazine have voted the Fruit Center as a "Best of the South Shore" winner for "Best Gourmet Food Shop". Thanks to everyone who voted for us and thank you to South Shore Living!