In 2019, Milton and Hingham banned single-use plastic bags. Massachusetts is also considering at a state-wide plastic bag ban.
We strongly encourage you to use reusable bags for each and every shopping trip. Bring any bag from home that you enjoy using, or you can purchase a reusable bag here at the Fruit Center. If you do not have reusable bags we have handled paper bags available at our checkout. There will be a 5-cent charge for our handled paper bag. This fee is in place to encourage reusable bag use and to fund our charitable giving program.
TIPS FOR REMEMBERING YOUR REUSABLE BAGS
1. Have a large selection of reusable bags available.
2. Stash them in your car, your most used handbag, or right by your front door.
3. After you unpack your shopping PUT YOUR BAGS BACK in the same location.
4. Always write “BAGS” at the top of your shopping list.
5. Get your kids involved. Have them gather up your “special bags” right before your shopping trip.
Plastic has had a devastating effect on our environment. Much of the plastic created is used once, and then remains in landfills and oceans for up to 1000 years. If you’d like to learn more we recommend visiting:
WHY PAPER BAGS ARE NOT A BETTER OPTION
We offer paper handle bags (for a 5-cent fee), but you should know that paper is not the “next best option”.
In fact, some argue that paper bags are worse plastic bags. Americans use about 10 billion paper bags per year, which requires the cutting down of 14 million trees. Shockingly, four times the amount of energy is used to manufacture paper vs. plastic bags, and 98% more energy is used to recycle paper vs. plastic bags. Also, paper bags generate 70% more air pollution and 50 times more water pollution than plastic bags.