- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium to large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3-4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh turmeric root, grated (optional)
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated (optional)
- 2 32-oz. containers chicken stock (or 8-10 cups homemade)
- 1 container bone broth (such as Kettle & Fire)
- 1 package Bell & Evans boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt, pepper
Instructions: Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery, salting and peppering after each addition. Add garlic, ginger and turmeric, if using and stir well to coat. Pour in stock, season with another addition of salt and pepper and bring up to a simmer. Gently slide chicken thighs into the simmering water. Turn heat up just a touch to bring it back up to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Let cook slowly over low heat for about 40 minutes to 1 hour. Taste stock and season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed.
Pull chicken thighs out and set on a cutting board. Using two forks shred chicken apart. It should come apart very easily, if they do not shred easily, return them to the stock to simmer another 10-15 minutes. You will end up with a big old pile of shredded chicken. Return shredded chicken to the soup.
Feel free to add grains, rice or cooked noodles for serving (but cook them separately from soup or they get gluey/overcooked).